Mysteries

Mysteries

Friday, November 18, 2016

Jackalopes

Jackalopes- A Western Critter 
©2016 Lori L.  Simpson

The jackalope is a generally considered mythological Creature of North America, especially the Western half of the country.

Some people point to possible sightings of jackrabbits with tumors on their heads as the origins.

Whether or not that is true it is known that two Wyoming taxidermists of the 1930's grafted antlers onto  stuffed  jackrabbits. These were sold to a hotel. Then later they were sold to gift shops and the "legend" took off faster than well, a speeding  jackrabbit.  

Jackalopes (jackrabbit + antelope) are now featured as taxidermy mounts, toys, postcards and more.

I grew up in Texas and have seen
fake images of jackalopes all my life.
I wonder what I would do if I saw one alive.




No comments:

Post a Comment